Back to Top

Making a Building Regulations Application

Making a Building Regulations Application

It is not possible to just build or create changes to a building without securing an approval from your local authority. Building regulation is not the same as planning permission although it is possible that you will be required to do both. If you are planning on undertaking some building work, you will need to know what building regulations to follow and the steps in which to do it.

Understanding building regulations

Altering or creating changes to a building requires building regulations approval. Commonly, changes that can be done in a building are providing extensions, underpinning, cavity wall insulation, material alterations, and so on.

Bathroom installations may also be included that will create changes in installing air conditioning, heating and roof coverings, changing electricals that are close to a bath, adding new windows and doors, adding a few extra radiators, and the likes.

If your still uncertain whether your building requires building regulations approval, call your local authority.


What happens if I skip getting approval?

If in the case that you fail or skip gaining building regulations approval, you may have to pay for faulty work. This could also result in a hefty fine in court if you cannot procure the proper documents for your house especially if you intend to sell.

What work does not need approval?

Not everything requires approval, since our homes will from time to time require minor repairs. Other types of building work that does not require approval are maintenance work and electrical and installation of new bathroom facilities. It is also good to remember that even if the following do not require building regulations approval, it is necessary to follow energy efficiency and safety standards when constructing.

Can another person apply instead of me?

If you are not able to apply for the building regulations application, you may ask a registered tradesman to do it for you. Your builder, installer or plumber can do it on your behalf and they will notify the council that their work will be on the set required standards. After they have applied, you will be issued a certificate within eight weeks of completing the job.



How to apply?

Through a building control body which can be your local council or privately approved inspector. You may need to apply directly to both of them. Your local authority will be contacted at the beginning.

To apply, you will be compelled to select one type of application. A comprehensive or full plan will require 5 weeks resulting in a decision or 2 months with your permission. This will be followed by handing you a certificate 8 weeks after the project is completed. For smaller developments, a building notice will be needed. The building will commence. two days after you have completely notified the right authorities.

Prices may vary with these applications and will depend on the project that is involved. However, local authorities give special considerations to people with disabilities as they may not require payment.